Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Fresh Corn Salad

Hello , My Lovelies :)

     As I've been babbling about over on my other blog, this has been a busy and WONDERFUL summer, the highlight of which being our Engagement on July 24th, 2011 (Wahoooooo!!!! We're getting MARRIED!!! *happy dance!*) If you care to, you can read all about the adventures of Proposal Day and other Summer Shenanigans here, and view photos of the Proposal here :)

     Summer usually keeps me away from my computer quite a bit. I apologize for my absence and I'm so excited to be blogging again :)

And now, without further ado, THE FOOD :)

     As you may or may not know, one of my all-time favorite summer foods is corn. To me, corn on the cob with butter and salt is pure happiness, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that! However, although we primarily idenitfy corn as a summer staple, here in upstate NY, good quality local corn is available through September, which makes it a lovely Late Summer/Early Autumn treat as well.

   However, there's much more to do with fresh corn than just eating it on the cob. I'm sure corn on the cob must get boring after awhile, though that's never happened to me. It's always nice to change it up though! Enter Fresh Corn Salad :) This recipe has lots going for it, other than being light and fresh and tangy and yummy, it's also a great make-ahead dish, which is nice for large gatherings, so you don't have to stand by the stove or the grill waiting for the corn to be done while there's a party going on:) The only slightly labor-intensive part is removing the corn kernels from the cob, but even that goes fairly quickly once you get the hang of it.

   The way I'm presenting it here, this is more of a method than a recipe. It's based on the Fresh Corn Salad Recipe from *The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook* by Ina Garten, the ingredients are the same, with timing and amount alterations on my part.

Fresh Corn Salad
(original recipe inspiration from Ina Garten)

- 10-12 ears fresh corn on the cob, shucked and cornsilk removed (this can be made with good quality frozen corn in a pinch, but it would not be my first choice)
- One medium red onion or two small red onions, finely chopped
- A handful of fresh basil leaves, torn or finely chopped
- A few tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- A few tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste


- Place corn in large pot of boiling water and cook until starchiness is removed (this can take 8-12 minutes, the corn should give slightly when poked with a fork)

- Remove corn from cooking water and submerge in large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process and set the color (don't skip this step, otherwise you'll have mushy, overcooked corn)

- Remove corn from ice water. Remove corn kernels from cob. If you have one of those little corn kernel remover things (they look like circles with lots of little nubbly fingers on the inside) then go ahead and use that, however, if you do not (I didn't) this is is the method I would suggest:

- Place a small round bowl bowl upside down inside a larger bowl so that the bottom is showing. Place the corn on top of the little bowl and scrape down the sides of the corn with a sharp knife (watch your fingers!!!) so that the kernels stay in the big bowl and don't go flying everywhere. Once the corn has been removed from the cobs, run your (clean) fingers through the corn to break up any clumps.

- Once all the corn kernels have been removed, combine with red onion, basil, EVOO, vinegar salt and pepper. I really do find that the most efficient way to mix this salad is with my (clean!) hands

- This salad can be serviced chilled or at room temperature, it's great for Barbecues and Potlucks, and I've relied on it for years :)
More to Come!!!
Love,
Lynn :)





No comments: